View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Actually, if you have a good reader, it only takes about $100-$300 per studio hour (ie, the hours of recorded content, not the actual work hours) to produce an audiobook (already been down that alley myself). So for a book that takes 6 hours to read at a normal pace (my books average about 20min per chapter, and 6-7 hours total for the entire book), which unless you're a speed reader is the normal pace you'd read a regular book at, will cost between $600 and $1800 total to produce. (this means that the tracks are leveled, and all studio work is completed, and when it's done you have a final product ready for sale.)
Talent fees (for professional narrators who are not celebrities (i.e., the kind of narrators that audible tends to use) will add an additional $200-$300 per hour. Also - I'm an Audible "Platinum" user, meaning I get two credits/month for, I think, $23. I never use my credits on an audiobook less than ten hours long; mostly I "read" ones that are 15+ hours long (my current read is 22 hours). So it can get somewhat expensive.

I'm not quite sure how interested I would be in a bundle, though. I do have a couple of audiobooks/ebook combinations (mostly PD books), and I will occasionally dip into the ebook from the audiobook. But I'm not sure how much I would want to pay for the privilege - at 99c for the six volume Chronicles of Barshetshire, it's a no brainer...but I don't know that I would want to pay even $3 extra for a combination.

But I can imagine that a lot of people would feel differently.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote