View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #21537
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
The saga continues........
..........snip..............

I turned around, and made my way slowly down the 3/4 mile or so of that nasty path....some of it on my butt, because going down is way scarier than coming up! Finished the rest on my feet, and logged somewhere between 7-8 miles round trip.....not bad for an old lady.
You did the right thing. Both in trying a more difficult trail, and in realizing that when it got too difficult, it was time to turn around.

Quote:
No more Ford Canyon. Have met my match there. Nature wins.
May I suggest an alternative? Instead of giving it up completely, if you can, find someone you trust who is experienced with that trail, and try again together. Often, having someone who knows how to handle the tricky parts is all that's needed to teach you, and help you expand your abilities safely.

Quote:
OH, and the tennies that have worked so well on regular rocky paths suck on loose dirt/rock paths.....apparently I"ve worn the soles smooth..... Get some hiking boots.
Uh... yeah. There is a reason folks wear 'em. You'll find your footing MUCH easier with good boots. And it's not necessary to stop and get your balance with EVERY step... Some of the steps are pass-throughs... You step and go to the next balance point. Yes, you are off balance for one or two steps, but relying upon the stiffness of the hiking boot soles to keep you moving in the right direction. Try this on some relatively easy trails that have some rough footing and you'll see just what I mean.

I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying your new found freedoms!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote