View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #21
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
I think that using the dictionary is fine. As a matter of fact, I think not using it is lazy. And not reading a book because it has "big words" is kind of lazy too.
This is the type of comment that led to my first post. I have already explained that it was in jest. However I do resent being pitied or being called "lazy" because I don't routinely use a dictionary while reading.

I too read a wide range of books books and my vocabulary is challenged at times. I could press the word with my finger and get an instant definition if I wanted. However I prefer to try to work out what a word means from the context of the sentence, paragraph, chapter, or novel (whatever it takes!) As I indicated earlier that's what I was taught to do when I learnt to read.
Is that really being lazy?
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote