View Single Post
Old 01-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #1118
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
It is rather violent (but then, so is history!), but I found myself quite caught up by it. My tolerance for spurious or "loving" violence is fairly low, as you know, but this never (quite) tripped my triggers. Not sure why. Possibly because the main character was a woman, and she kicks a**. IAC, I'm definitely reading the second one, but only as an Audible book, since I have credits, but don't want to spend any more actual $$ this month.
I've read the first two (on kindle, not via audio) and enjoyed them a lot. Hoping the third will come available on Prime, or go on offer, soon.

I'm currently listening to The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack: Burton & Swinburne, Book 1 by Mark Hodder, narrated by Gerard Doyle, who is making a fair go of it. It is a reimagining of Sir Richard Burton's life set against a steampunk world where trains run on compressed air, and penny farthings have gyroscopes and are driven by coal-burning engines. The sudden twist that I have just encountered (presaged in the blurb, so not a spoiler, I think), and which I imagine is going to take us away from the real history is:

Spoiler:
A time traveller has abruptly appeared to Burton. Nuff said.

It does however stick quite closely to his real life events, at least at the moment (I'm still only a little way in) and so far is largely involved with the disagreement between Burton and Speke over the discovery of the source of the Nile (as depicted in the great movie "Mountains of the Moon").
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote