View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A friend of mine has just upgraded his Galaxy Note to ICS (the official Samsung upgrade) and it's absolutely destroyed the battery life. Previously he was getting a couple of days' usage from a battery charge; after the upgrade it's draining the battery flat in a few hours.

I'm no Android expert but I know that many people on this forum are. Can anyone offer any advice on what he could do to resolve the problem?

Thanks!
I can't see the same problem on my Note after upgrading do ICS, but from other forums it seems there are several possible reasons:

* different battery calibration (ICS doesn't inherit the previous battery calibration data). This should clear after a couple of full charge/discharge cycles

* not wiping the device or not clearing the cache after the upgrade (but I did not wipe it and still don't have this problem)

* incompatible app. You can look at the battery usage under settings and check if some app is using more power than it reasonably should.

* smartphone constantly looking for WiFi or 3G networks - changing the network settings should solve that problem (eg. under WiFi -> advanced it is possible to switch off the "keep WiFi on while asleep" option)

* device not switching into lower processor speed when idle, which can have several reasons. One of these seems to be connecting/disconnecting the charger while the screen is off (which could cause the Note to mistakenly recognize the connected/disconnected state)
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote