View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 04:51 AM   #12
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPrince View Post
Koreader with kindle touch or paperwhite is excellent for reading any PDF textbook
Not for me. The screen is too small and performance not up to it.

I'll give you a typcial example of what I need. I have a therapy textbook I use (hardback) which contains around 600 pages. It's a book I regularly flick through while using the index and I often read one or two paragraphs or sections in a page and move on to a different part of the book, cross referencing. Each section I read can be hundreds of pages apart.

I have the same book in pdf format. It's approx 60Mb and takes a while to load on both my Kindle and Kobo Glo. On both these 6" screens, the text is too small for practical use and the reflow extremely poor with no option for changing that. But, the real problem is speed. Having to wait even a few seconds while navigating pages is extremely frustrating when you've got a lot to look through. The tools just aren't up to the job (yet).

As things stand, eink readers aren't geared up to dealing with pdf's properly or well. The screens are wonderful to read novels with, but are generally far too small for textbooks and the hardware cannot cope with pdf navigation at anything like reasonable speeds. Reflow isn't even guaranteed if the pdf hasn't been created with all due diligence and doesn't work well on all readers even when it has.

Yet, reading the same pdf on a 10" Android tablet is great. It's very fast and easy to navigate and the formatting is usually spot on. Even when it's not, you have a choice of many readers on Android to try and pinch to zoom is instant.
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote