Thread: Touch Excessive Battery Use?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I have had this problem with 2 Touches in a row. I reported my original problem here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138992

As you can see towards the end of that thread, I returned the first one that was having problems and was lucky when B&N sent me a new one in return (not refurbished), which they didn't have to do.

Well, as I recently mentioned in another thread, this 2nd Touch is doing exactly the same thing, and exactly what you report. The thread mentioned above tells about my attempts to get around the problem, which basically boiled down to:

1) charging it to 100%
2) let it sleep over night/ Next morning it might be around 88% (i.e. terrible battery drain)
3) charge it again up to 100% with the charger ("top it off")

This usually fixed the drain problem.

With the replacement Nook, I have refined this technique to a similar idea, but using the computer instead:

1) charging it to 100%
2) let it sleep over night/ Next morning it might be around 88% (i.e. terrible battery drain)
3) connect it to your computer via USB cable and let it charge again up to 100% (i.e. "top it off")

This has ALWAYS fixed the drain problem for me. After doing this, it only loses about 2 or 3% per day (sleeping or using, no WiFi).

If I were you, I'd first use it normally and recharge it at least several times, as others have suggested, and hope that it starts behaving normally without bothering with what I am doing. If it continues to drain quickly, then I think I would return it and hope that the replacement works well right away.

The problem comes in the case I had with the first Touch - it works OK at first and you use it for say a month and THEN it starts draining the battery quickly. In such a case, it is too old to get a replacement, and you are stuck either getting a refurb or trying techniques like I suggest above.

In my case, I decided to stick with the 2nd Touch, even though it has this problem, because I can get around the problem (as I've described), and I want to USE the damn thing instead of shipping them back and forth to B&N over and over.

I continue to hope that my 2nd Touch will eventually stop acting this way and drain normally without this "topping it off" technique.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by RAH; 12-18-2011 at 07:37 AM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote