View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #14602
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I finished Anna Karenina a week or two ago and then started on The Wise Man's Fear which I just finished.

At 1070 and 1096 pages respectively, those are not only the two longest books I've read this year but two of the longest books I've read in years. And I read them back to back, lol. It's my fault though, because they were both on my to-read list for the year, and I put them both off til the end of the year.

Anna Karenina was great.

The Wise Man's Fear was great too. Heh, could it be crammed any fuller? I didn't like it quite as much as The Name of the Wind, which just took me by storm. In this second book in the series, there were some very strong parts though that made up for the more uneven parts. I like the world; it's realistic (for a fantasy world), vivid and...gritty, and I love the character of Kvothe, a hero who loves learning, who is artistic, and who makes mistake after mistake unlike many heroes. The author has a knack for storytelling and I like and respect the overall dark and adult tone he's taken with what could've easily been a lighter, more kiddish type of tale, especially since the main character is still in his teens after two books. Can't wait to read the third book, though I'm not sure when I'll get to it...

Next up for me is Cloud Atlas, the general book club selection for November!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote