View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
Iriver PDF display?

OK, I was thinking about a Kindle DX so that the full screen display of letter sized PDF will work reasonably well, but I did some research on the little iRiver and noticed that the advertised resolution is much higher than other 6 inch e-readers approaching the resolution of the DX and the same as the tablet computer I am currently using for this task. Normally when I need to print a PDF I print them Booklet style (four pages per sheet) and that size seems fine to me as long as the text is clear. Which brings me to my question...

How do letter sized (8.5x11 or A4) documents look on the 6 inch display in full screen mode? Approximately how large (mm or inches) are the typical characters? I know this will vary with the font used and things like that but a general measurement should help determine if this would work for me. A typical Capital X or M is about 1/16 inch or 2mm wide when I print them four to a sheet.

I understand I missed a good sale here in the USA, but I can still find the wifi HD for $129 with free shipping so it is not too bad compared to even a used Kindle DX. There are a couple of other choices for used devices on ebay but I would need to go through the (normally) less than optimized PDF to epub/mobi conversion process.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote