View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
My answers are purely for the Glo. Other than in shops, I've never played with a Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I have never owned a Kindle, or a Kobo, so what I am interested in is the software and book management.

1) Do either of them allow sorting by Author, providing a "page" or collection that way?
The library list can be sorted in several way: Author, Title, Type (format), Size and Recently Read. You can also create bookshelves and put whatever books on them that you want to.
Quote:
2) How much font variation is there? or is it restricted to the publisher's choice?
Lot and yes. The Glo comes with 11 fonts and you can sideload your own. And it allows at least 20 sizes in all fonts. But, if an epub has fonts and sizes specified, it depends on how they are specified. If font sizes are specified in a relative value, that is used relative to your selected font. If it is an absolute value, that is always used. A similar thing happens wit the font.
Quote:
I'm tending to lean toward Kindle at the moment, which will then require the conversion of almost 2000 epubs to .mobi format (not looking forward to it, but at least it doesnt have to be done all at once)

3) How do these two manage books which are not purchased from the dedicated store? Are they "registered" in any way with the respective websites, or ignored.

Still leaning toward Kindle, because of the many free books I have acquired over the past 12 months, some at least of which are DRM protected. Easier to convert the non-protected ones, than to strip protection and then convert.
The Glo supports sideloaded books with Adobe DRM. You just need to register your Adobe ID on the device to read them. Non-DRM protected books can be sideloaded simply by copying them to the device when connect to a PC. The device detects them at disconnect and loads them into its library.

Books purchased from Kobo's shop can be downloaded directly to the device. You can also sync reading status with the Kobo server to sync to other Kobo devices and apps. The format used is a tweaked epub with their own DRM. But, the Kobo shop also has standard epubs that can be downloaded to a PC and sideloaded
Quote:
4) Does anyone think there might be an argument for having both readers? (Seems a bit excessive to me, but then, I am given to excession at times)
Well, we can never have to many toys The only reason I can think of is so you don't have to convert the books. Then you can load them onto the device that handles the format best.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote