View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
help ! Rilke translation

There must be some poetry lovers / scholars here, and since google and amazon have let me down i turn to you for help as a last resort !

i am trying desperately to find the translation of Rainer Maria Rilke's Duino Elegies which i used to have but tragically lost somewhere (never lend a book you love...). The problem is everyone and his brother has made a translation, and i don't remember the name of the translator. However, i do have a few fragments which i had taken down in notes.

if anyone has a copy of these poems, could you check to see if they are the same, and tell me the name of the translator ? you would thus earn my undying fervent gratitude !! (extra bonus gratitude if it turns out the version is PD and you know where i can find it online, since i am pretty sure my version has been out of print for a long time...)

/!\ N.B. : it is not the version by Stephen Mitchell, although that one is quite good i think (i still have that one...). It MAY be the version by Gary Miranda / Mirando Gray (i have seen both spellings and i have no idea whether it is the same person, but it seems like it would be a really huge coincidence if not), but i am only basing this on the fact that the reviews i have seen of that version are all glowing, and the fact that it is out of print (i'm pretty sure the version i am looking for has been out of print for quite a while...).

SOME EXCERPTS OF THE VERSION I AM LOOKING FOR :
From the First elegy :

Line 11 :
"...the ingenious beasts are aware
that we are not reliably at home
in our interpreted world."

Line 22 :
"But they only conceal with each other their fate"

Line 27 :
"...A wave long since gone past
lifted itself toward you"

i've got some more but these should be enough to identify it i think.

thank you thank you for any assistance !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote