View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 06:35 PM   #90
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Unless someone has a coherent argument to convey, I am going to avoid this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
In some countries (the UK I believe is one) authors are paid from a pool of money based on how many of their books are loaned by the libraries. So there is some compensation there in some countries.

HP7 represents JKR's intellectual property (IP) and while she is alive she has the right to determine how and when it will be used. Since she has not authorized an electronic edition of the books any ebook of the HP series is therefore a counterfeit and illegal on the surface. The argument that it is legal because no legitimate one exists in nature is also flawed for the same reason. The only legal way to get an HP book is to buy a paper version.

In economics the ebook is a substitute for the pbook. They can be interchanged like butter for margarine. Both serve the same purpose of providing the text of the story to be read.
I do not claim that it is legal. I merely state that JK Rowling is not being harmed.

Economically, an ebook is not equivalent to a paperback book is not equivalent to a hardback book. The dollar amount they are sold for is not the same. I cannot take one in and trade it equal with another. I believe you mean to say that they are functionally equivalent. That is somewhat true, but irrelevant to this discussion. We are discussing the economics of the situation.

@delphidb96
I disagree with your statement of a "right" to download. It is still theft even if you cannot buy it legally. But in this situation, the value of the theft is $0.00. That is the whole point of my argument.

P.S. Are you trying to be ironic or sarcastic? I can't tell.