View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #932
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
Smile

@JimmXinu: Thanks! I was just getting more and more annoyed that certain fanfic ebooks only indexed properly in their txt form!

Of course I don't mind, I would be honoured to be linked from there . [Also, I did not know this FAQ exists. *cough* Because I had been wondering whether the missing TOC in MOBI was a known issue and turns out it was. ^^]

Yes, the calibre conversion from EPUB to MOBI, while fixing the missing TOC, did not work to fix the indexing, nor did MOBI to MOBI (In hindsight I have not tried EPUB to KF8 nor MOBI to KF8 conversion though (option became only available in recent update IIRC), so it would be kinda funny if that works ). I think I read somewhere that the calibre devs care more about the files working then them conforming to XHTML specs and validating against Epubcheck, which makes alot of sense.

It could be that the indexing engine on the KT is less forgiving towards tag soup than with earlier kindles? I have no idea as I don't have another Kindle device to test the files on ...

On an somewhat unrelated note, after trying out various similar services, none of which really worked, I found a workable tool for livejournal fics: Readability.com. You just have to append ?format=light (intended for mobile use) to the end of livejournal urls and then give the URL to Readability via one of their many apps/extensions or directly on their website. You can either send an MOBI to your Kindle or download an EPUB!

Of course this leaves you with separate ebook files for each chapter which you will have to merge manually if you care enough to go to that effort (I didn't, fic was only 3 chapters ) and there is some stuff at the end that Readabiltiy does not filter out, but it just works wonderful otherwise. According to Readability, the Kindle uses their code for the Article Mode of its browser. The results are indeed very similar.

Last edited by Dylan Tomorrow; 10-16-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: +Aside on Livejournal fics via Readability