View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #21
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abradoks View Post
Sure. I have no intention to waste anyone's time on pointless arguments, when you make it clear that the policy won't be changed despite being unreasonable from beginning and thus unavailing.
Notice the lack of swarms of angry people insisting the policy is unfair and a form of censorship?

MR's always had a one-step-removed policy regarding evasion-of-TOS activities. There's an understanding that many people are going to do them, and they may or may not be legal depending on one's location and interpretation of relevant laws, but MR does not directly support or condone activities that involve breaking the terms of service of an ebook store or device seller. This means not encouraging, and sometimes not allowing, direct discussions of methods to do so.

Those of us who think a lot of those TOS are stupid, and possibly illegal in themselves, are welcome to say *that*, and offer specific advice in PMs. (Don't PM me for TOS-breaking advice. I don't buy DRM so I don't know how to crack it.) The fact that such topics are of interest to some MR members is acknowledged, and mentioning that interest isn't banned here; only specific details of "This Is How You Get Around That Agreement You Made" are not allowed.

Discussions of "This is how that agreement you made is not legally/morally binding" are welcome, and common. Those discussions often include hints of search terms or offers to give more specific information in private, and that, too, is allowed. Only the specifics themselves are not allowed in MR's public areas, for reasons of potential liability.

Nobody else seems to have any problem understanding the difference. Nobody else seems to think it's an oppressive decision.

As far as "but they couldn't possibly be sued!"... it's not my job (nor yours) to decide what legal risks someone else should take. I find it very unlikely that MR would be sued for allowing discussions explaining how to tether one's Kindle, but I'm certainly not volunteering to pay for the legal expenses if it turns out Amazon's lawyers go a little crazy with the C&Ds.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote