View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I gotta agree with Sparrow as far as current publishing is concerned. I think a lot of the editors these days are not very competent at editing and more like managers or counselors or hand-holders or author reps at publishing production meetings. All you have to do is look at the tripe on the shelves, not to mention any names, but the category of Dan Brown's latest comes to mind.

I think in the past the editors were truly editors and worked with the authors to produce the best product they could -- and certainly some of the small presses and some of the editors at the big corporations do that now, but I think like with many other things it's more what can we convince the sheep to buy, that working to create a product of worth.
Do you have any reason to suppose that there is any more "trash" on the shelves today than there was 20 or 30 years ago? I've certainly not noticed any particular change in its preponderance in my "awareness" of the book industry.

Why pick out Mr. Brown, by the way? His latest book was highly commercially successful. Have you read it? I did, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote