View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #144
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I've also thoroughly purged app data & registry in the past, using revo uninstaller
Revo's very good at finding left-over bits and pieces of programs, but unless you monitored the very first installation of K4PC using Revo (and consequently Revo-uninstalled each-and-every old version before Revo-installing the newer version ), there's simply no guarantee that it found/cleaned everything Kindle for PC-related from your registry. It's fairly easy to verify, though. After a Revo uninstall of your Kindle app. Bring up regedit and search your entire registry (Edit->Find/Find Next) for occurrences of the word "Amazon" (assuming you don't have any other Amazon software installed, of course [Audible/MP3 downloader/Previewer, etc...]). I can state with authority that the Kinde App absolutely pollutes the registry with entries.

Quote:
are any of your books .azw3 format?
my current theory, based on my free book "buying" is that it is only those in the new .azw3 format which go AWOL.
Many of my books purchased/downloaded to the Kindle App are in the KF8 format, if that's what you mean by .azw3 format (.azw3 is nothing more than a file extension, really). But to be perfectly honest ... I haven't purchased anything that has been delivered to my Kindle for PC app with an .azw3 extension. Every single ebook I buy shows up in the "My Kindle Content" folder with an .azw extension—even the ones that are strictly KF8 (although I did get an .azw4 and a .prc a long time ago). I do know that the .azw3 file extension is not associated with the Kindle for PC app by default (unlike the .mobi/.azw/.prc extensions). That tells me that it doesn't really expect to encounter them in its "normal," everyday routine.

Quote:
can you try "the Donor" - the current #1 in free fiction bestsellers list - that is the last one which failed for me. It is a .AZW3 file
It appears to only be free for Prime Lending (or I'm too late for the free offer). I'm not a Prime Member. But, are you saying it was delivered to your "My Kindle Content" folder with the .azw3 extension? In my experience (ignoring calibre and/or DRM removal plugins/tools), the .azw3 extension is generally "reserved" for KF8 ebooks delivered (by Amazon) to devices, not apps (at least not PC apps, anyway).

If/when you do happen to find a truly free ebook that gives you fits, I'd love to test it out, though. Feel free to PM me the details since I don't check this Kindle subforum as often as I used to.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-23-2012 at 08:29 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote