View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #75
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not even that. We know access on the net is not 100%. If I want to go read a book and I cannot access it, I would not be happy. Also, I don't always have net access when I read. So I would need a local copy. I don't mind the cloud where the eBooks live until I download them and have a local copy. If I pay for the content, I want the ability to have it on my computer.
Exactly -- you finish a movie in 2 hours, but it takes days to finish a book. And unless you are on an unlimited plan (perhaps this whole idea is subsidized by Verizon and AT&T??) you won't always have access. And only devices with internet access would work.

Avid readers are quite a different crowd from Netflix users. So I doubt a similar strategy would work here, perhaps it would for the next Dan Brown. But in general readers are a completely different market.

So all things considered a scheme like this would appear to be an attempt to promote sales of new hardware (internet capable reading devices), unlimited data plans, and pbooks -- especially when it is the only option.