View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 02:25 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
I just downloaded an epub file (Haggard, v. 16, by HarryT) and tried it on my Bebook with Lbook firmware. I was able to read it ok, but the TOC didn't seem to have any way to access it.

Bob
I have the very greatest respect for Harry for the enormous amount of work he has done as a moderator, in preparing ebooks, and in offering helpful advice.

But I wonder if part of the problem may be that he (so far as I know) converts his ePubs through Calibre from books prepared in mobipocket prc format.

It seems to me that mobipocket's adherence to HTML standards is limited and idiosyncratic, while ePub demands strict adherence to HTML standards. And ePub has strict requirements for tables of contents. I am not at all sure that Calibre does or can correct the all deficiencies of mobipocket when converting to ePub.

This is a long winded way of saying that it may not be a hardware problem. For what it is worth I have similar problems on ny ECO reader with the TOCs in ePubs which have been converted rather than hand made, but far fewer problems on the same reader with ePubs which have been hand made.

One way of testing my hypothesis would be to find out whether there are ePub readers using different firmware which can make the TOCs in converted ePubs work.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote