View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #13
rbridge
rbridge began at the beginning.

Device: kobo; daditong
Low Cost Chinese E-reader on Ebay.com

I spoke of this one earlier in my first post, don't know if you saw that. I have made further inroads into figuring out all the functions of this unit. I paid 55.99 USD for it, plus a 2.00USD extra charge for something or other (maybe it was shipment insurance). Freight free from Hongkong and it arrived ahead of schedule. Luckily the Canadian P.O. didn't charge me any sales tax or duty! I had said earlier that the unit had only one font, but that was an error, as I've since discovered how to change to any of three fonts, vary the font size, make bookmarks, etc. The quality of the device is extremely good. The screen is 25% larger than my wife's Kobo. Overall I am MORE THAN pleased with my purchase. If anyone wants info on how to buy this, I'll send it. My email is rbridge@ns.sympatico.caa (Nova Scotia, Canada) and I will be happy to take any questions directly. I think the manufacturer is called "Daditong" and the product is one of many similar items made at a large facility in Shenzhen China, I think. I am a tech writer and am currently negotiating with them to write a proper manual (pdf download). The one they provide is really bad. The unit comes with an AC Adapter/charger (the reader also charges off your computer's USB connection), a USB cable and ear buds. The movie quality is super, although the full-screen viewing option distorts the horizontal dimension. But it's a great bonus on an e-reader, not to mention it has MP3 playing, multiple languages, an FM radio, calendar, etc etc.

Regards, Bob.

PS It needs a soft padded case, as it's fairly heavy and it may be easily dropped handing it to someone expecting it to be lighter who doesn't grasp it firmly.....or by a sleepy reader letting it slide off the bed!
rbridge is offline   Reply With Quote