View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #3160
rryk
rryk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi,

The screen on my Kindle 3 WiFi 's is broken. I would like to turn the device into an SSH server running some flavor of Linux with the ability to connect via WiFi.

I understand that I need to a) install jailbreak, b) install usbnetwork, c) install launchpad, d) follow these instructions: http://linux-tipps.blogspot.de/2011/...wifi-with.html.

So far I have managed to activate voice guide to get rough understanding where I am. I have also tried to put various update files onto my Kindle and it seems that only update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3w-3.0-to-3.2_install.bin and update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3w_install.bin are recognized by the device (option "Update your Kindle" becomes activated). However, I cannot look up the exact version of the firmware, because the screen is broken. Is there any other way to determine the version?

I should also mention that I have tried to jailbreak my Kindle long time ago, but I don't remember if I have succeeded last time. On the USB storage there is a folder "linkjail" with an info file that claims it is an installed jailbrea. However, Kindle won't accept usbnetwork updates (the option "Update your kindle" is not active). Therefore I have assumed that my last attempt to install a jailbreak was unsuccessful (or only partially successful). Please let me know how can I check if my Kindle is jailbroken or not and what should I do with this folder (e.g. keep or delete it?)

Last edited by rryk; 08-09-2013 at 04:08 PM.
rryk is offline   Reply With Quote