View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
First thoughts on InDesign CS6 EPUB

I just tested InD CS6 and played around with EPUB export. There are still some features I miss from earlier versions but also some new nice features.

Let's start with pictures. I still miss the option to leave images as originals. This feature still existed in CS3 and CS4. Why InD has such an obsession to repack the images? Well, this was tolerable in CS5 but now they have made it again a bit harder. Before, I always kept images in the text flow (inside text frame) and images were exported almost unchanged. In InD CS5 I just unchecked "formatted" checkbox, nothing else and images maintained dimensios and so on, just got this _opt extension in file name. Now, all the images inside the text flow are formatted. Dimensions change no matter what. Only way to keep images almost unchanged is to keep them separately outside text frame and anchor them in the text flow. Well, just a new way how to put images in their places. Point is, still missing the option to leave images as originals.

Next thing are footnotes. Well, they were broken in InD CS5 but thanks to this script, it wasn't a problem. What I liked was that footnotes were collected at end of the whole book. In InD CS5.5 and CS6 you just have possibility to collect footnotes to end of the document/chapter or after the paragraph. I wish there would be possibility to have footnotes in the end of the whole book.

Document splits. I was furious when I saw they removed the possibility "use first level entries as chapter breaks" in InD CS5.5. Good that they brought this back in InD CS6. It's a different way to do it than in earlier InD CS versions, but good that you can have different paragraph styles to create document splits instead of just one paragraph style. Thank you for that!

Margin-top property in CSS styles is missing. I'm appaled by this. Am I doing something wrong or why I can't get it working. There are other margin properties (in pixels, not in em) but no margin-top property. If someone knows more about this, please tell me!

EPUB3 export. I didn't play much with this because I was more curious about how this new InD version will fit in our current EPUB production. Good that there is some progress in EPUB3 field. I guess it's a first tool that exports EPUB3 standarded books? Hope Sigil will support EPUB3 standard soon also. How there can be EPUB3 books if there aren't tools for mass production? (Yeah, I know we also need devices which support the standard too )

Have you tried InD CS6 and exported an EPUB? Share your thoughts!
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote