View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Hmmmmmm, I do not see how being the same aspect ratio as other devices is relevant to the current discussion, since ugly is ugly no matter how often it is repeated?

Of course, it is the same aspect ratio as every other eInk device since there is not much to choose from in that technology. The 4:3 aspect ratio was obsoleted for most entertainment device screens when analog television disappeared, but this new Nook just makes it look even more ugly. Aside from ugly, the short fat aspect ratio makes the device more unwieldy for the hip pocket carry that I personally prefer for my reader device.
The 16:9/16:10 aspect ratio used by most tablets these days is designed primarily for landscape-format viewing of web sites, video, etc. Personally I find 4:3 to be a much better aspect ratio for reading. It's also much closer to the aspect ratio of the standard A4 paper size that people are used to reading from:

4:3 = 1.33
16:10 = 1.6
A4 = 1.42
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote