View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #26
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
So the one I've read a bit of hemming and hawing over is repeating a character's name endlessly during dialog. I've read a fair few arguments both ways, and none are particularly convincing.
I think it shows up if you read the work aloud. Very quickly the repetition of first names becomes clumsy and unrealistic.

The exclamation mark one is one of the reasons I gave up reading James Patterson (that, and the poor writing/plotting/characterisation etc. etc.). His use of them outside of dialogue, just to emphasise a narrative sentence, drives me mad!
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote