View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
I'm of two minds about this...

First, I think it's wonderful that any author can publish ebooks directly through Amazon, bypassing those publishers who're still sitting on the fence, dithering about releasing any novels in ebook format - any format.

For example, Daniel G Jennings has been struggling to get "Robots Just Want to Get Paid", a novelette, published for some time. Among other things, it's rather libertarian in bent and that is a problem with many publishers.

However, again using RJWtGP as an example, Amazon's DTM ebook publishing can be a disaster! (I bought a copy after reading about it, and his discovery of self-publishing freedom through Amazon, in The Libertarian News.) Given the plethora of syntactical and grammatical errors in this *SHORT* novelette, I wonder if the publishers rejected it more because of it's libertarian leanings *OR* because of all the mistakes it contained. Yes, it only cost a dollar, and the author has discussed, in an email exchange with me, how he considers it a 'work-in-process' and that corrections will be made as time goes by, but still, the ease with which a poorly-written story could become a 'published work' (and by published work, I mean it is truly published by Amazon) is - at this time - appalling!

Derek

I'm sure that my gentle and uplifting criticism will be taken in their spirit and that in a short time RJWtGP will be a worthwhile purchase and read. And for those of you who think that supporting auctorial efforts through purchase of 'early-alpha' E-ARCs makes sense, please feel free to cough up the $1 fee for this book - presuming you are of libertarian pursuasion.

Last edited by delphidb96; 12-14-2009 at 11:19 PM.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote