View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Right, CtB, that workaround is well-known. But it presupposes several things, among them:
  • you also have a regular Kindle device (not just the iPad), which makes it impossible for you to truly and fully replace your former Kindle device with the Kindle for iOS app on the iPad
  • you lose the ability to "side-load" books into the Kindle app, such as opening them directly from the Web, from an email attachment, from the Dropbox or SugarSync app, etc. etc., which is a major nuisance
  • you agree to treat your books as "personal documents" from now on, which is highly annoying
I hope you will agree I am entitled to call any reading app that forces the user to employ such excruciating workarounds, "a sub-par product". And the inability to export highlights and notes normally, is just one among many deficiencies of the Kindle app. The only feature where it shines, is the dictionary integration (best in its class on iOS).

When I looked at the above (and many other) limitations of the Kindle app, I had to decide for myself: is it worth sticking with the Kindle app, if it tortures the user so much with senseless, arbitrary limitations? My answer: nope, it's definitely not worth it. So, I just convert the MOBI book into an EPUB book (takes a couple of seconds in Calibre), and then enjoy reading it in the fabulous Marvin app that allows you, among many other great and even unique features, to export all your highlights and notes in an XHTML file with a single tap of your finger.

Last edited by Faterson; 01-09-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote