View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by voidIndigo View Post
Hi,

Sorry to bump into an old subject, but I just bought a REB 1200 with a 2.0 firmware, and since I'm from Brazil (so please excuse any errors you'll find), it's not the easiest thing to send it to ETI.

I read a lot of things about this problem, and it seems to me that the firmware updates were first done trough the site (Gemstar's). Now, there are some programs (GEB Librarian, Impserve, REB1200 Librarian) that fool the REB in an ethernet conection with a HTTP Proxy so that you can serve books from your computer as if from a site.

It occurred to me that maybe this scheme could also be used to update older firmware (such as Yours Trully ) to a newer one. A 4.22 firmware update would be nice, but even 3.1 would facilitate things a lot.

I leave to the experts to see if this is possible.

Thanks for your attention,

Best regards.

void Indigo
The REB Librarian had a feature that BLOCKED a rom update from Gemstar, specifically because some early firmwares ( v2.1, v2.2, v2.3) actually prevented personal content from being loaded onto the REB1200.

That software is just a Proxy Server, like Impserve is, so it could be used to intercept the calls made, but you would have to know how to respond (echo) back to start the firmware download (along with a valid firmware).

Impossible, maybe no; doable unlikely.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote