View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
SplogSplog
Connoisseur
SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Irex DR1000S
Just been playing with it on my DR1000 for about an hour. My very early feedback:

Pros:
- Page turning on cached (i.e. previously viewed) pages seems to be a lot faster. I can't see much improvement on non-cached pages though (in fact, see cons below).
- Contrast is much improved, so that faint text that was hard to read on the beta is now very legible. I would say contrast is as good as the old 1.7 release, which is great.

Cons:
- All my notes and scribbles from the beta version are now misaligned - they are no longer in the same place on the page and even have a different pen thickness. This is particularly troubling where I had underlined or circled words - since I now just have circles and lines at random places on the page. This was a serious disappointment since I have made notes on hundreds of pages since the beta release. Having said that, I did know the beta was a beta, so cannot complain too much.
- Page turns in portrait mode for non-cached pages do not seem to be faster. They seem, in fact, to be slightly slower, but that may be my imagination. In landscape mode the situation is worse in that pages turns for some documents are now much slower than before - in fact, sometimes they may even be hanging the system (twice in the past hour I have rebooted the device because a page turn was taking more than two minutes).
[Very minor] The rotate icon (which I use frequently) is no longer on the toolbar, and has been replaced with a page thumbnails icon (which I never use).

So, I have mixed feelings. The improved contrast is a help, but not at the price of the cons. I am going to switch back to the beta release (if I can).

EDIT: I successfully went back to the beta release, and to my joy all my notes and scribbles are back where they should be.

Last edited by SplogSplog; 06-03-2010 at 11:37 AM.
SplogSplog is offline   Reply With Quote