View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's never crossed my mind before that the speed at which you can read a book might be considered a benefit of a device. For me, reading has always been something to be savoured and lingered over, not rushed.
I guess the real question is whether the technology in electronics readers (screen quality, refresh, page turn speed etc.) has any impact on the act of reading itself, compared to paper books. Judging the speed people read at is less useful than gauging their perceptions/enjoyment levels of reading from a screen vs. paper, and what can be improved upon.

I'm guessing the speed thing is just one factor they will test towards that goal. It really is only an issue if the speed or lack thereof (due to technical limitations) is perceived as a real negative by users.

Maybe it is cumulative-some users may realize they just aren't getting thru an e-book as easily as they do a paper book, or that it takes more effort, and they decide to go back to paper.

I think its great that someone is doing usability tests though-hopefully the manufacturers will benefit.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote