View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 08:22 PM   #64
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
I don't know for sure, but my impression was that, just like in the music business, the author gets only a tiny cut from each unit sold and the publisher and retailer get the lion's share.

Assume that the retail markup is something like 100%, which I understand is normal for retail. So a $10 book yields $5 to the retailer, of the remaining $5 the production and transport cost probably come to $2 and then assume the publisher splits the remained evenly with the author. That's $1.50 each. I don't know, but I strongly suspect the reality is that the author gets less than that per unit sold.

Take away the retailer's split, the production costs and the publishers split and there's $8.50 of costs that aren't in an ebook. Give the on-line vendor the same cut that the publisher was getting before and the author would break even at $3.00 a sale - assuming that you don't sell 3 times as many at 1/3 the price. And at $5 a book, you're still at the same price that most used book stores would sell the book - and the author gets $3.50 a copy.

Of course it costs money to take a book from draft manuscript to final product and market it. I can't even guess how that changes the math.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote