View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
I have made the bind-in promotional CD for Baen's newly released David Weber/Eric Flint Honorverse novel Torch of Freedom available on my site.
Just finished reading Torch of Freedom (hardcover version) last night. It was a middling effort by Weber and Flint. The first book was much better. I found the opening of Torch dragging and confusing.

Unlike in other books, such as in the books of the series that began with Off Armageddon Reef, in Torch the authors expect you to remember a great deal of what they wrote in the preceding book. They give vague allusions to the background but not enough information to really bring back recall. Also, the story doesn't flow as well as in other collaborations. In addition, the characters this go round seem to be more wooden and have sudden changes in theri lives. For example, Berry Zilwicki seems to become instantaneously smitten with Hugh Arai, little to no development of the relationship, yet the book ends with what clearly is the begiining of a long-term relationship between the two.

If I had to rate Torch I would give it (i.e., 3 out of 5); Crown of Slaves was a (5 out of 5).

Last edited by rhadin; 11-24-2009 at 02:12 PM.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote