Thread: Karma etiquette
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Easiest answer first, if you click on the "User CP" item on the top white on blue menu bar you will see a list of those people that have given you karma.

There are very few rules for giving karma and they deal with the mechanics of karma. A good discussion about the workings of karma is found here.

So maybe the 5 points you gave is all that you can give. (When I followed the formula in the link I came up with 5 as your current amount.) You can give any amount of karma up to the max you are allowed. The exact amount of karma give is not displayed so unless the other member is monitoring their account closely they may not be able to tell if you gave all you could or not.

As to when you give karma, this is all up to you. Some give it freely (Uncle Duke comes to mind) while some others may never have given any karma at all.

Karma is a gift. No one should ever think of anyone else as a cheapskate for giving less than all the karma they have. It is the act, not the amount, that matters.

Alex, the founder of MobileRead, introduced the Dial-a-karma (as I call it) variable karma because some members with large post counts and high posting numbers were not awarding karma as they once had when they had lower karma to give. This allowed them to acknowledge good contributions that they would otherwise have not acknowledged. Even if you do not give all that you can, you are still restricted to giving karma no more than ten (10) times in a day and you must give karma to three or four other members before you can give it to the same member again.

I hope this helps you better understand the MobileRead karma system.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote