View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Hi again

Thanks for wishing me welcome to the forum and quick answers. I have been away in the weekend, and has just started reading your answers and experimenting a bit more.

I too have seen the solution about giving the text you want to stand left-aligned on the right side of hte screen a large left-margin, see examples attached. Examples are a page from "The Plague Court Murders" by John Dickson Carr, in an edition from The Langtail Press and sold via Amazon in kindle-format. This book has an issue similar to mine, but the publisher has used the left-margin-solution, and I find that it doesn't look very professionally. The same page are given with different font sizes set by the reading device, not by CSS in the code. Attachments are from ipads kindle-emulator.

The backside of the left-margin-solution is that at small font-sizes the paragraphs above appears as if they are centered (see attachment 1). As the font-size increases, the text extends rightwards, and at one particular font-size it looks about right (attachment 2). If you increase font-size even more, a line break is inevitable (attachment 3 and 4).

@bfollowell: if I understand you correctly, this is what you ment by "There's really no way to do it that way and get it all the way to the right though. You can get it close but no cigar"?

What I want is a paragraph where the text are left-aligned, but the paragraph is "locked" on the extreme right side of the screen and expands leftwards when increasing font size.

I have tried everything I can come up with to achive this, from a div where the text is right-aligned containing another div where the text in leftaligned containing my paragraphs to a div floating to the right, but has not succeded in anything better that the idea of a right floating <p> or a <div>.

DMSmillie, I see the point about me setting 0 left and right margins, but I have also tried setting
margin-left:auto
margin-right:0em;
without getting the paragraph more over to the right with that. Is it technically possible to "stick" something with text-align:left to the right side of the screen or browser, and make it expand leftwards? How do the rest of you move elements to the right? The easiest would be to right-align the paragraphs, but before I do that I would very much like to try to find a solution to setting the left-aligned text on the right side of the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	270
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	68757   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	249
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	68758   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	250