View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I think a dedicated Sony sticky thread would run into the same issues as the current Nook one does, in which a lot of the deals are long-since-expired by the time someone opens up the thread.

People would pretty much have to work backwards from the latest post, and hope that other people had consistently remembered to post the new books that had popped up in-between times. And you'd keep getting complaints about stuff that had expired from disappointed people.

The Kindle forum sticky works very well because you've taken the time to refresh it with a new one each month, and it's made easier by the fact that places like eReaderIQ have their automatically maintained still-free list, and that it's also very easy to search for just the non-public domain/less-likely-to-be-self-pub stuff at Amazon directly.

Personally, I think the NOOKbook summary thread over at B&N's forums works beautifully, with both people posting their individual "finds" as they come in, and one guy who takes the time to check and prune and update the entire list every couple of days so it keeps current with what's actually available. The only way it could possibly be improved upon would be if he also edited the first post with the updated list at the same time. And if the B&N people would actually go and update their official Free eBooks page with the info.

But myself, I wouldn't want to do the amount of work he's put into it, though I'm certainly grateful he's chosen to do so. I'm willing to do a Sony round-up every once in a while because it's only every other week or so that I come across a new one and I can just quickly check back through my most recent set of acquisitions in the Reader Library to see how far I get until I hit a non-freebie, which is generally after less than a dozen books. It takes little enough time that I can just do it over a quick meal in front of the computer.

And if I'm this unmotivated, I'm not sure anyone else currently on MR would be any more inclined to step in, especially given how most of the usual freebie finding tools/tricks just don't work for the Sony store.

Ah well, the people who're actually interested in supplying steady freebie information probably already have built their own freebie listing sites with blackjack! and hookers! affiliate links.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote