View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #124
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Progress report on what I've been working on for the next release of Canti:

-[code done] Contrast adjustment (user requested)
Ability to adjust the contrast of images. Personally I don't like this feature... contrast is one of those things you shouldn't leave up to a batch job, but instead should be done manually on a per image basis. But someone requested it, and it is a feature of ImageMagick so it wasn't hard to add to Canti. The same user also requested implementing ImageMagick's auto-gamma feature, but I tried it out and it really doesn't work well on manga scans so it will not be included.
-[code done] Auto-level (user requested)
Uses the -auto-level feature of ImageMagick. This works a whole lot better than contrast adjustment on manga scans, although I'm not sure if it really makes the scans look better (at least it doesn't make them look obviously worst).
-[code done] Handle read-only parent_folder (user requested)
Canti normally uses parent_folder for some temporary files (namely unarchiving zips/rars in parent_folder, or converting a pdf in parent_folder to an image folder), but this isn't possible if parent_folder is read-only. I was afraid this would be difficult to implement, but it turned out to be pretty easy.
-[code done] Handle resizing using different orientation from original image
I'll explain this when the update is released... it was tricky.
-[dropped] When using @auto_split_landscape_scans and @add_border, use split_buffer as horizontal border (user requested)
This isn't possible short of reprocessing from the unsplit scan or handling image trimming through Canti rather than ImageMagick. This feature has been dropped for now.
-[code done] Directional add_border (user requested)
Instead of centering the scan when adding a border, add horizontal border to simulate the original physical page side (left or right) of the scan. This of course could only be used on landscape split scans since it is impossible to determine the original page side of a scan otherwise.
-[code not started] Sharpen image
I'm interested in exploring ImageMagick's sharpening abilities to see if they should be included in manga processing.

If anyone has any other requests, please let me know now. Once this update is done I want to leave Canti alone for a while and get back to my other project.

Last edited by lilman; 10-22-2010 at 11:58 AM.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote