View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Heh... Yeah, that's one of many problems with these "teardowns." People with no sense of manufacturing read it and think "wow, it cost $10 to make and they charge $100, we're getting ripped off." People don't usually consider all the associated costs: R&D, legal, taxes, customer service, marketing, retailer's cut (if applicable) etc etc.

I.e. knowing that a Kindle is allegedly made of $185 in parts doesn't really provide much accurate information about how much it really costs, or what profit Amazon is making on these things.
Its pretty interesting (well, maybe just to me) to track Amazon's R&D spending-
2004: $251 million
2005: $451 million
2006: $662 million
2007: $818 million (Kindle 1 released in Nov.)
2008: $1 billion
2009: Kindle 2, Kindle DX released

Up until recently, Amazon's R&D has increased pretty steadily without seeing a commensurate payback in operating income-one of the big criticisms of them in the past.

I'm guessing its because they have invested heavily in the Kindle/eBook transition, and just haven't reaped the benefits yet. One thing about Bezos, he certainly thinks long-term.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote