Old 05-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbw View Post
Sylver,

If you buy the Kindle version, would you mind reporting the quality/accuracy here? I'd love to buy that, but only if the text is clean. Thanks.
aha, I was actually hoping someone else can do that for me first
Still struggling with which format to go, I already spent 150+ dollars on the first three volumes, so it might make more sense to just purchase the rest two volumes in hard copy to make it complete. I have never seen any other Asian classic translation project by one man to be even close to this one in terms of thoroughness and accuracy. I almost feel guilty that quite often I have to turn to the English translation to really understand the original Chinese text (Chinese is my first language and I consider myself much better versed in that language than most Chinese people of my generation). The translator started to teach this novel back in 1967 and the first volume was published almost 20 years ago. There are serious doubts among the readers that Mr. Roy can ever finish this project given his age and the pace of the work he is used to, I just keep my fingers crossed and god bless the old man (his father died just several years ago at age 101 so hopefully he still have plenty of time ahead of him).
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote