View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
jfm
jfm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My point was that your anger is perhaps misdirected. It's the publisher who decides what percentage of the book can be copied. If you feel that the limit for this particular book is too low, it's the publisher who's to blame.
A good point, but the only way that I can deal with Amazon's publishers is through Amazon, and I might add here that I think that Amazon is, overall, a great company that usually gives a lot of consideration to customers' concerns.

Quote:
The clipping limit is generally set to be at least 10%. One might well question whether copying more than 10% of a book can really be considered "fair use" under copyright law.
A fair question. Maybe expecting to be able to do more with an ebook is unreasonable. Certainly, if one wants to do more than Amazon is permitting, even if innocent of motive, then that requires a modification of behavior, and I do not think that pushing a user to that is beneficial, in the long run, to either Amazon or the publisher. Before this, I have always looked to Amazon first. Now I won't. Before this, I would not have considered de-DRMing a book I buy from Amazon. Now I will. Is that a flaw in my character, in the system, or in both, or does that even matter, since it's not going to affect me much - just a little extra effort - but is going to affect Amazon?
jfm is offline   Reply With Quote