View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
swr2408018
Enthusiast
swr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-500
Les Miserables "super" illustrated version?

Boy, this stirs my long-deferred ambition to put together a super-illustrated ebook edition of Les Miserables (and indeed all of Hugo's major works). In addition to a couple different English sets of Hugo, I've got an elaborately illustrated edition in French that I picked up on a business trip in Paris over 20 years back. It's 18 fairly large volumes with literally hundreds of illustrations, including quite a few by Hugo himself (though not in Les Miserables.) Putting that many illustrations into Les Miserables would make for a huge .lrf book, and would probably require splitting it up into the original 5 volumes.

I started on an MS word version 8-10 years back and managed to finish the first volume, first book or so, but the work of cleaning up the artwork was formidable (this French edition is >100 years old and on pretty dark yellow paper.) I'll see if I can at least find that part of the artwork and post it.

Ah, just found the old folder (from 1999). I've got 46 illustrations for the first two books of the first volume. I'm sure I could do a better job on cleaning up the scans now (16bit greyscale scans, etc.), but this suggests what could be done (see attached ).

I'd love to have this on my PRS-505, but I suspect it would take me at least a month of full-court-press effort to create it!

Steve
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 300 width jpgs.zip (1.21 MB, 754 views)
swr2408018 is offline   Reply With Quote