View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Would it be better if it didn't flash? Yes. But, as other have said, you get used to it. I still notice it, but don't really think about it.

The next reader technology will solve the problem, and more screen choices are in the near future. The choice now between eInk and LCD is really one of personal preference. Both have advantages and disadvantages. You just go with the one that is the "lesser of evils" for you.

I am really pretty neutral. I seldom read in direct sunlight (it amazes me that is so important to most people) as here in Texas the last place I want to read is in the sun. A shade tree is a must have. On the other hand I do read at least 25% of the time is less than perfect lighting conditions. So the back light of a LCD is great. But, I like to read more than a few hours sometimes, so the LCD battery life is a killer (I have my doubts the iPad actually gets 10 hours in real life, we shall see). I like the clarity and over look of eInk, and my eyes seem to read longer without tiredness.

Bottom line is you just have to work at it, and find the option that is best for you.
Yep. When I first read about that flashing I was also very skeptic about that. Until I really saw it in progress and read a few pages with it. Naturally, I'd love to have an instant page turn, and a perfectly readable screen in all lighting conditions.

About reading in the sun, Bremen Cole, I don't like reading in the sun either, but my JE-100 screen isn't even visible (without backlight) in the shade, outside. I have to turn up the backlight to max in order to easily read it outside (and that eats into the battery!). A transflective screen or it's new variety, the Pixel Qi screen, would be the answer. But, as my transflective screen device is only a 3.4", and my 7" is a normal LCD, I bought an e-ink device for those situations the lighting conditions are so that a transparent LCD isn't really suited...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote