View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #23
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by aecardenas View Post
The book/series that I've been desperately trying to get into has been The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I say "trying" because I can't seem to get past the first two books. I mean they are SO awful...and I used to be a really big Stephen King fan. The Dead Zone, the Shining, Misery, his short stories...those are some amazing books. And I heard so many great things about the Dark Tower, saying it was his masterpiece, etc.

So I thought, okay, i'll give it a shot, and waited until the first four books were discounted and on sale in a single package. So i started with the Gunslinger. My god. what a boring book. I barely made it through the poor writing and lackluster story. But I was determined. I keep hearing "Oh, just get past the first book and the others are a thousand times better"...so I went to the next book. The Drawing of the Three. I was so bored. I didn't' like the characters, and the pacing was just SLOW....seemed to go nowhere. I think i stopped when it introduced the crippled woman with the split personality or whatever. To this day I have not gone further than that, even though people still tell me "OH, yeah, if you can just get past those first few books it gets REALLY good"...then the'll say "Oh, the Wizard and Glass book is awesome"...and I'm like, that's four books into this mess!

I've decided that there is no Dark Tower Promised Land. It must suck because I, a lover of high fantasy and a big fan of STephen King, can't get past the poor writing of the first two books and I refuse to skip over them or slog through them just for the sake of doing so.

So it sucks! There, i said it. PPPFFFFFF!!
in my opinion it fell apart after book three, the waste lands... after that i slogged through it then absolutely hated the ending.

Last edited by hard-boiled pat; 02-16-2012 at 08:35 PM.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote