View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #84
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EileenG View Post
Very likely. But now I'm freaking, wondering if I can produce a book that's as good at they want in the time I've got. Increasing the money increases the pressure.
Don't let it. Remind yourself that you were planning on writing the best book you can, and that hasn't changed. Their expectations haven't changed, either--being able to demand a better paycheck doesn't mean you're expected to do more work, just that they agree you're better suited to the job than they'd originally thought.

Also, the hope is that the advance isn't "more money" for the author. It's just "more money up front." And "better royalty rate" probably means they were trying to scam you to some extent--they want you to produce a book that can compete with 50 Shades, but want to pay you untried-newbie-author rates? If they think you *can* knock 50 Shades off the shelves, they should pay you accordingly. Sounds like they were relying on you not knowing what the industry standards are, or undervaluing your own work.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote