Thread: Who Owns Ideas?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #45
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
If I could describe that, I'd know better than anyone on the planet exactly how the human brain works.

At any rate, the brain doesn't just store facts... it connects those incoming facts to related and subjective impressions, related and extraneous background info, and related and unrelated internal thoughts and memories that happen to be running through the brain when it collects that new information.

All of that goes together into one meme that is much more than the sum of its parts, completely unique from person to person, connected to other such unique memes by methods we don't as yet understand, and because of the brain's ability to take intuitive leaps, completely unpredictable in its potential.
Agreed, but why can't this be considered as a very sophisticated processong "device"? Altough unlilke most devices we build nowadays? How I see this, is the processing way you described is just much more random driven than one we would like to see a computer work with said data.

What little I know about brain structure is that we have roughly two centers to think with (also known as brain halves). One is responsible for making deductive thoughts, the other is responsible for noticing analogies, similarities (one would say "inductive")

I notice it even on myself (or I think I notice it) when thinking really hard about a problem. One part of the brain seems almost constantly randomly generate a lot of random (and quite stupid) ideas and thoughts all the time regarding that subject. Another part of the brain says constantly, "No wrong. No this isn't true. No that would give that logical fallacy. Um might work... Sorry No, its nonsense also. No, forget that. N... wait a second... hmm nothing speaking against that! Yes! Thats it!"... thats at least my idea of having an idea, or about discovering something.

Last edited by axel77; 09-22-2008 at 02:11 PM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote