View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I thought about comparisons overnight. Call me a fanboy, but the ipod Touch holds up surprisingly well.

INTERFACE

The IPT has a fluid, reliable touch interface that is likely to become even better come 10.4. With KF, we don't know for sure yet. Things look good, but without an actual hands on by an independent reviewer., that's a question mark. Generally, sub-$249 tablets have had poor and unresponsive screens.

IPT+
KF ?

AUDIO

IPT good only with earphones
KF likely same

CAMERAS

IPT ++

Two crappy ones beat none. And in fact, I've seen pictures taken with the IPT and my eyes didn't melt.

BATTERY LIFE

4-5 hours for the IPT
6-8 for the KF, according to specs

KF+
STORAGE

The bottom line IPT and the KF both have 8Gs with no removable storage. They both will have impressive cloud storage options.

DISPLAY

The IPT screen is smaller, but everyone who has experienced the Retina display says its superior even to e-ink. I'm calling this a draw.

ECOSYSTEM
This is where the rubber meets the road. Neither of these are great standalone devices but they both hook into great ecosystems.

1. SHOPPING

Amazon is Shopping Central for just about anything. Apple is limited to digital content, but its digital content options are broader.

2. SOFTWARE

Amazon has a nice little app store , but the Ios App Store is well, THE APP STORE.

3. MUSIC AND VIDEO

Apple has a broader selection, Amazon better prices. Apple has Netflix and Pandora apps, Amazon doesn't and may never.

4. BOOKS

Here Amazon is best. Apple, again, has more choices in that you can shop anywhere and read it on the IPT.

5. RADIO ANd PODCASTS.

Through ITunes, you can get a vast selection of radio shows and pod-casts. Nothing like that for Amazon, AFAIK.

More could be written, but I've got chores. .

I'd have to say that it's not the knockout I originally thought it would be for the KF.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote