Thread: N00b Question
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Your information about the Nook is unfortunately not correct.

1. B&N has made an exception for military personel. If you register your B&N account with an ".mil" e-mail address, you can use your Nook just like you would in the US. There are no geo-restrictions.

2. The geo-restrictions are only active when buying books/magazines/applications (forced upon B&N by the publishers). Everything in your B&N library (things that have been bought) can be downloaded anywhere in the world. Registering your Nook, and updating the firmware, can also be done anywhere in the world.
Perhaps, but B&N is the most aggressive about not supporting items, even for the military. Perhaps it's changed in the last year, but colleagues with Nooks in Europe had a horrible time getting warranty support. They wouldn't ship to APO addresses. A .mil account did not keep the B&N store from forbidding me to purchase even the free stuff. Sony, BooksonBoard, Kobo, FictionWise, Baen, and Amazon had no problems selling me stuff and Amazon was the only one besides B&N that used my computer IP address to determine my location. I used an VPN that gave me a US IP address to get around georestrictions. With Amazon, I had to turn it on if I found something I wanted to buy. With B&N, I had to turn it on before I entered the store. The others didn't care where I was located. Purchasing from work is only an option if your work doesn't block that website. Who needs the hassle? The Sonys are supported by AAFES and the Sony rep visits the PowerZone on a regular basis.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote