View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #14
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
Thanks for the responses. Some more iformation:

Laptop - no specific hardware requirements, 15" - 17", battery life not a high priority, don't know what an optical drive is so probably don't need one

Budget - definitely less than $1000 and preferably less than $800
$1k is a pretty generous budget. Even $800 is going to buy a lot of laptop.

We still need some information if you are going to be thrilled with the recommendation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire/wizwor View Post
I think we need some more details before we can make good recommendations.

- For a laptop
- do you need an optical drive? blu-ray?
- Apps
- what games will you play (specific is better)
- what programs will you run
- will you run background programs (playon, plex, etc.)
- will you watch movies
An optical drive plays discs -- DVDs or Blu-Rays. If you want to watch movies that come on disc or install software from disc, you're going to want one of these. You can get an external (esata or usb) drive, but that will cost more and you will have more to store and lug.

We need to know what kinds of games and programs you will be running because that information will drive selection of CPU, video chip, memory, and operating system.

Since you are thinking of a laptop and have a pretty decent budget, I think you should at least consider a high end tablet or a touch screen. I say this because I think touch is going to be a big part of everything going forward and, if you are going to spend that much money for a web browser, I don't want you feeling buyers remorse in six months.

The apps you want to run will drive this decision.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote