View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #53
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Reading and acquiring habits change over a lifetime anyway. When I was young and hard-up, I read as much as possible from libraries and haunted second-hand bookshops for out-of-print books. So the first books I bought were either new paperbacks or Victorian hardbacks.

As my career progressed I bought more new books but still borrowed a lot from libraries. For the past 26 years I have lived in non-English-speaking countries and my book-acquiring habits changed again: not much browsing in shops, avid reading of reviews, mail-order book-buying.

When Amazon started up, I mainly switched to the internet to buy new books. I still visited bookshops when in England, and I also found myself buying paperbacks from airport bookshops when I was travelling.

I don't keep all the books I buy. A lot of the airport ones go to charity. When we moved house in 2009 I had a big clearout and gave away 100s of books to a school for money-raising sales. But I still have thousands of books and I have a large backlog of unread books that I am gradually working my way through. I decided that when I hit 70 I had to think about downsizing a bit and that would involve getting rid of a lot of books that I might hang on to for nostalgic reasons but will probably never read again. So I am planning to shift a large number of my dtbooks when I get round to it.

I decided that an ereader would be a practical solution for me. Buying an ebook instead of a dt equivalent saves me small amounts of money because it saves on shelf space. (Publishers aren't the only ones who incur costs from storing books.) So far I have acquired quite a lot of free or very cheap classics, almost all of them books I already own in dt format. When I want a new book, I look first to see if it's available in eformat. If not, I probably won't buy it at all, unless it's a must-have reference book. I value the ereader for travelling. I can make sure that I have a sufficient variety of books loaded to keep me occupied in all moods.

I would buy a lot more books if more were available in eformat and if it weren't for the ridiculous geographic restrictions. I try hard to refrain from buying dtbooks.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote