View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 07:33 AM   #12
John Bailey
Connoisseur
John Bailey doesn't litterJohn Bailey doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
My favourite comment is the last sentence in this quote.
Mine too..

Sony can't realistically compete with Amazon's buying power and clout in the book selling market. No single manufacturer can.. So they have to try and encourage diversity, or they will have nobody to sell to.
No media, no media playing device sales.
It just happens that for once, the interests of the company are compatible with our interests.

E-book/app/music stores tied to one device are only good for the maker of the device. Not for the buyer or the media producer. It creates closed walled garden environments that keep device users buying the same brand over and over, and given enough users, could keep publishers from publishing in different formats.

Hopefully Sony and others will have built up a big enough following before the Kindle arrives anywhere outside America with it's one store, one format, one device model.

Having looked at the ePub DRM system, it seems to be not as bad as DRM systems go (unless I'm missing something obvious). And at least allows people to change devices without losing their books, or having to remember where they bought each book and go back and register and re download for the new reader.
John Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote