View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 01:37 AM   #8
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
There's been a number of "stupid Liberals" remarks in the first book so far and at least one person who was presented as clearly delusional as blaming the Bush administration for this or that, but it's at a level that, if I hadn't previously been aware of the issue, I might not have noticed.

Re: racism in the first book...

Spoiler:
I felt rather uncomfortable with the entire "all West Africans are evil, blood-thirsty rapists" attitude in the descriptions of the associate security people on "Mike Mickerberg's (founder of Spacebook)" yacht. Yes, it came with an explanation of "former child soldiers", but everyone present agreed there aren't any decent (security/military) people coming from West Africa, and in subsequent passages, most people just kept referring to the horrible violence as committed "by the Africans".

Granted, one of the people describing them as such was a black American, so maybe that was supposed to balance out the apparent racism, but there was a bit too many recurring references to "the Africans" instead of "the hired security" or "the subcontractors" or whatever, that I felt uncomfortable reading those bits - and compared to a lot of Westerners I know, I'm not nearly as sensitive to spotting casual racism, coming from a completely different background.

Other than those things, it's ... well, it's a very, very, very gun-happy book, with paranoid semi-sociopaths with a home arsenal being basically the heroes, but then again, it's a zombie apocalypse book and paranoid semi-sociopaths with a home arsenal may well be the people best equipped to deal with such eventualities, so I don't really have any quibbles with that. (Although I have to say that I just really don't like Faith. There's kickass girl protagonists and then there's people I'd really like to punch in the face, and Faith belongs in the latter group. I keep waiting for her to grow on me, but so far, she just irritates me. A handy person to have around in a zombie apocalypse, mind you...)

I'm about 80% into the first book now and in spite of those few issues I have (and they're things I really don't care for), it's actually kinda fun in a really brainless way. I've liked the second part, once they escaped New York, a whole lot more overall.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote