View Single Post
Old 10-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #46
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbax View Post
Amazon should make Kindle 2 have following:

1. A touch-screen for annotations like iRex Iliad and that works with the finger like the Sony PRS-700.
I don't think the hardware exists yet. The PRS-700 apparently uses a stress-detection screen that doesn't have the fine granularity needed for note taking. The iRex uses Wacom (inductive detection) that doesn't respond to finger touches or anything else other than a special stylus that generates the inductive signal (and is proprietary to Wacom and very expensive). The resistive screens used on devices like the eBookwise respond to finger touches and can take relatively fine-grained notes, but reduce the clarity of the screen to 85%, which won't work for a reflective e ink screen.

The only touch-sensitive technology that I think might work is the capacitive screen used on the iPhone and iPod Touch, which has the necessary clarity for a front-lit/reflective screen, but others have suggested that it might not be fine-grained enough for notes, either, and it would also require a specialized stylus, if a stylus could be made to work at all. (Wikipedia suggests a conductive stylus would work, but other MR folks have said it wouldn't and doesn't.)

So I think we're waiting for a "perfect" low-cost high-transparency fine-granularity touch-screen technology.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote