View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 03:18 AM   #49
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
That isn't quite the same. You are talking about a several different products. VHS tapes, DVDs, Blu-Rays have different resolutions and there are different features on the discs. You can, of course easily format-shift yourself if you have a Blu-Ray burner, and get a copy of the VHS movie on Blu-Ray (the equivalent of scanning a paper copy of a book, I guess). And you can watch the DVD in better quality on the Blu-Ray player than you ever could on your old DVD player (upscaling).

A book stays exactly the same, we don't expect a new copy. We just expect to be able to use the old copy on a new device. Many of us here have several devices just to be able to read different formats. And unlike the example mentioned by you this format shifting can be done very easily by the user and at no expense to the sellers if there is no DRM.

Device specific DRM is like asking you to wear special glasses just to read a book. Break those glasses and the book is worthless. And the glasses from company B won't work with the books from company A.

But I agree with those that say, as long as I can easily get rid of DRM I am not overly concerned about it.
Yes I am talking about several different products, as are you. That's the point.

I can make a different comparison then if you'd prefer.

Darn I lived in England for a while and bought some movies, and then moved to China and bought some more. Now I live in the US and the movies I bought in England and China will not play on my DVD player I bought in the US.

Now I have to buy something else to be able to play these movies that (in the end using your logic) are the same product. I should be entitled to have this work in all areas all over the world, on any player I buy with no strings attached. I shouldn't have to buy different players or different copies of the movie. It should just work because I said so.

The point being if you buy a Kindle copy of a book, it's meant for the Kindle.

I bought the Kindle KNOWING what I was buying and KNOWING that some titles will have DRM, some will not, and that the AZW format was not going to work on non-Kindle devices. I can read the books on my KK, my KF, my Windows Phone, my PC, and my laptop. I honestly don't have a reason to worry about not being able to read the book somewhere.

If someone doesn't like the Amazon ecosystem, then I question why they are even here complaining about it in the first place. They should be using a different reader that allows them to do what they want.
Morpheus Phreak is offline   Reply With Quote